[ilds] some random thoughts on

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Tue Sep 18 14:10:41 PDT 2007

Okay, the "pit" is a vaginal image taken with "manhair" meeting
"maidenhair." And with that hint, perhaps the "axe" is phallic and
the "knot" is another vaginal image. There is good Web evidence for
the phallic axe. Evidence of the vagina as "knot" is less compelling.

And that "monster in the booth" is a strange monster

Bill

At 04:43 PM 9/18/2007, you wrote:
>Bill, yes, and I'd give a sexual meaning to "pit," strengthened by
>all the references to pubic hair.  I also see Donne here, his
>religiosity, and the alliance of death and sex, i.e., the propensity
>to play on "petite mort."  Durrell is dark.
>
>Bruce

W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *