[ilds] The solace of such work. . . .and truth

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 13:13:10 PDT 2007

Or, rather, David Gascoyne was having a bad writing day...  I'd have to
double check, but "Paris Journal" is for Gascoyne's book of the same
title, though I don't know when Durrell actually wrote it.  I've seen
one critic refer to the poem as a nasty mockery of Gascoyne, but I think
it's quite the opposite when read along side the journal itself.  The
young Gascoyne of those journal's days was deeply indebted to Durrell,
and a great deal of Gascoyne's shift away from the mainstream club of
surrealists comes down to his interactions with everyone at the Villa
Seurat.

At any rate, Truth seems to be both "what is" and yet the question of
"what it is" cannot be answered...  Very Gascoyne, and very Durrell.  I
think they fit together as the loosely surrealist image, but with the
underlying allusions that create an order (and order imposed by the
reader) -- the day of rest is without the labour of writing, and cutting
the Gordian knot doesn't answer it's question.  The monster in the booth
may be at rest, the minotaur of the unconscious, but being at rest is
equally unanswered.  It's just not stirring up problems on the day of
rest.  Perhaps best of all (I'm teaching Wilde right now, so...) is that
the mask is the only thing speaking when the beast, knots, and God are
at rest.  Without the big trouble-makers, writing can't happen and only
masks can speak rather than faces or 'real' voices.

I've been dabbling in the Miller, Gascoyne, Durrell, and Robert Duncan
mix lately, and Anais Nin's preoccupations might unravel some of this
poem as well.

Best,
James