[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 6, Issue 10

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 22:23:34 PDT 2007

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:58:23 -0400
From: slighcl <slighcl at wfu.edu>
Subject: [ilds] The solace of such work. . . .

Charles,

I liked the article you forwarded. Interesting points: e.g., how much space
should the travel writer devote to simple (as opposed to evocative)
description, and on background information, when these are available to the
reader on the Net through texts and photographs? Of course this raises the
question: what is evocative description? I think Rory McLean has a point.
With access to both photographs and information on the Net, even the
traveller goes armed with so much exposure to the place he or she is
visiting, that the sense of discovery can only be found in something unique
which the traveller must find during his journey (travelling hopefully....)
and at the destinations being visited. Widespread travel has greatly
increased the chances of readers visiting many places they would not have
got to in an earlier era, and the travel writer has to have something new
for readers who may have been where the writer has been.

Regards

Sumantra