[ilds] Banned Books Week

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 18:16:17 PDT 2007

I don't have my books with me at the moment, but the fact that _The
Black Book_ was published in 1938 and didn't appear in the USA until
1960 and the UK until 1973 says enough, I should think...  Here's what I
could rustle up online:

:: Ray Morrison lists the Black Book as banned in the UK for more than 3
decades (_Smile in His Mind's Eye_ p. 270) -- I would tend to trust
Ray's thoroughness in checking that.

:: Grove Koger (I'd call him reliable, but a Jacky Gleason song will
soon arrive if I do) lists it as banned in the Literary Encyclopedia
(and he's one of the minority that gets the date right!)
http://www.litencyc.com/php/sworks.php?rec=true&UID=10820

:: Stephen Gray lists it as *still* banned in 1965 in an interview
collected by Earl Ingersoll in his _LD: Conversations_ book, p. 97.

I hope that helps a little!

Best,
James