[ilds] Banned Books Week

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 16:46:45 PDT 2007

Hey Pamela,

I don't know for certain if Durrell's _The Black Book_ was banned in
Britain and/or North America, but it would be fair to presume due to its
publication through the Obelisk Press.  There are some comments in:

Armstrong, James. "'Banned in America by the U.S. Customs Officials!':
The Publication of Peter Neagoe's Storm (1932)." _The Papers of the
Bibliographic Society of America_ 93.1 (1999): 38-51.
     Notes: Durrell and Miller are discussed and used as evidence in the
author's analysis of the banning of Neagoe's work, all being published
by the Obelisk Press.

I don't have the bibliographies handy just now, but I can add to that
the Circle Editions in California (an anarchist press), which published
_Zero and Asylum in the Snow_, repeatedly listed _The Black Book_ and
took out advertising for it, but it is apparently the only book in that
year's list that was not actually produced.  At least, I have yet to be
able to find it, and I've look pretty hard...  I suspect it fell under
the knife.

It would be fair to presume _The Black Book_ was under censors'
pressures if not outright censorship.

Best,
Jamie

ps: I'm pretty sure we have the same dates for banned book week up here,
though I'm not sure if any of that is 'official' -- we do, however, have
Freedom to Read Week at the end of February.