[ilds] Fw: Lawrence Durrell

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Wed Aug 29 12:32:14 PDT 2007

On 8/29/2007 2:40 PM, Richard Pine wrote:

>     I'd like to share a quite passionate missive from a former
>     colleague in the Irish national broadcaster who just mailed me out
>     of the blue - as a general reader coming, as he says, late to LD,
>     and thru his 'travel' books, he sets a tone that I find very
>     encourageing - and of course, the query about Sebald vis-a-vis LD.

Thanks for sharing Kehoe Paddy's reflections on these three Durrell
books, Richard.  Last year I gave /Prospero's Cell/ to a colleague here
at Wake Forest.  As I had hoped, he came back from reading it with much
excitement, and as we tried to pin down more precisely the nature of the
magic or the charm, we decided that /Rings of Saturn/ was not a bad
contemporary point of comparison.  Both books slip past the confines of
category.  Both writers, in their different ways, dream their way along
through various topics.  You might say that both books are /Books of
Place/ written in a sort of ruminative prose that plumbs so much more.

For my own part and my own purposes, I find that I keep Pater's /Studies
in the History of the Renaissance/ within the same company.  That is,
like /Prospero's Cell/, /The Renaissance/ evokes something far beyond
its avowed subject.  The experience is one in which you start out
reading about one declared topic--say, Da Vinci's women, Michelangelo's
Sonnets, or Winckelmann's final journey--only to have the floor
gradually shift out from under, leaving you somewhere much different.
Perhaps Pater, Durrell, and Sebald have a facility for helping to define
aspects of a larger culture and moment via surprising and obscure
instances and experiences?

Prose that transports.

Charles

--