[ilds] The Nature of Terrorism

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sat Aug 11 11:26:05 PDT 2007

> Indeed. The following extract from Bitter Lemons on the nature of
> terrorism should, perhaps, be compulsory reading for American, British
> and Australian security organisations - CIA, MI5 or 6, ASIO in our case.
>
> /"one needs about a month to catch the particular flavour of terrorism
> which is made up of quite intangible fears - feet running down a road
> at midnight, a silent man in a white shirt standing at a street corner
> holding a bicycle too small for him, a parked car with no lights, a
> factory door ajar, the flick of a torch in a field. terrorism infects
> the normal transactions of life. The horror of deliberate murder, or
> ambush or grenade, is at least purging - the pity and the terror are
> in them, and the conciseness of actions which can be met. But the evil
> genius of terrorism is suspicion- the man who stops and asks for a
> light, a cart with a broken axle signalling for help, a forrester
> standing alone among trees, three youths walking back to a village
> after sundown, a sheperd shouting something indistinctly heard by
> moonlight, the sudden pealing of a doorbell in the night. The slender
> chain of trust upon which all human relations are based is broken -
> and this the terrorist knows and sharpens his claws precisely here:
> for is primary object is not battle. It is to bring upon the community
> in general a reprisal for his wrongs, in the hope that the fury and
> resentment roused by punishment meted out to the innocent will
> gradually swell the ranks of those from whom he will draw further
> recruits."/
> //
> /To use an Australian expression "How good is this?!"/

I will offer that this is very good prose, indeed, David.  Like a small
stash of snapshots suddenly found, each image calls into being
storylines that go far beyond the immediate frame.  Thanks for
highlighting it.  I will let others with greater insights take on the
politics.

Crossing the Cumberland Plateau, headed for Carbondale--

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu