[ilds] Books and Image and Duigan's "Flirting"

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 10 21:41:56 PDT 2007

Good luck with the teaching.  Teaching, Australia, the romance of books:  Have you ever seen Duigan's Flirting?  (I cannot imagine that you have not, given its AFI awards and frequent appearance on the lists.)  When you describe the following I immediately follow with my memories of Noah Taylor's character, Danny Embling, the Sartre-reading outsider at the boarding school in New South Wales:

Charles, the Year my Voice broke I know, but Flirting I do not - however it is on my list now.

    I thought spot-on Duigan's use of Durrell's Justine, a paper-covered copy of which sits beside the cosmetics and ashtray while Thandi Newton smokes at her mirror.  The whole Danny Embling-Thandiwe Adjewa romance has the flavor of the kind of literate romance (wonderfully naive and knowing) that we are talking about.  Everyone should watch the film before the close of summer.

    Yes, and let us not forget that Brett Whitely's painting "Justine" is up for auction this month: another fine example of a Durrell novel in a lit chic, funky modernist pose: the paperback edition perched between the pendulous breasts and great sprawling voluptuous arse of Whitely's girlfirnd on Bondi Beach: sexy, sexy, sexy!
    And if you don't believe me, then you should see all the Japanese business men/tourists you go down to Bondi Beach in the Summer and get their pictures taken next to great, strapping, curvy, Aussie girls who are taller than they are: Steak and eggs from the cradle up, my dears.

    DG

      Flirting (1991)
      http://colsearch.nfsa.afc.gov.au/nfsa/search/display/display.w3p;adv=yes;group=;groupequals=;holdingType=;page=0;parentid=;query=Number%3A316583;querytype=;rec=0;resCount=10
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flirting_(film)

  The Year My Voice Broke (1986) is also tops.

  Thanks for the memories, David.

  Charles

--
Wake Forest University