[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 5, Issue 5

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 23:03:02 PDT 2007

Charles,

Since my memories have struck a chord, I thought I would complete the thread
of recollection - as briefly as possible - with my experience at Jesus
College, Cambridge University, England, where I went to study science in
1967 from St.Stephen's College, Delhi. Very shortly after my arrival at
Cambridge, I was in the bar one evening at Jesus College, after a meeting of
the Literary Society of the College and I was holding forth on the evocative
quality of Lawrence Durrell's writing. In our company in the bar, was an
undergraduate student of English Literature, whose name I don't recall - but
who, unknown to me, may well be a well-known figure today! He was a lot more
dismissive of Durrell's writing. I still remember his mentioning Steinbeck
as one of the writers who had already displayed some of the qualities of
powerful writing which had impressed me in Durrell. Beside me was a
prominent Irish graduate research fellow of English Literature from Jesus
College, whom I later got to know, and who had attended our poetry reading
session at the just concluded meeting of the Literary Society. He was
enthusiastic in his support of my arguments about Lawrence Durrell. I later
found that he had visited Alexandria, but in his own words, had found the
city "terrible".

So, here - in the College where incidentally, Terry Eagleton was  then
teaching English - were two quite different reactions to Lawrence Durrell,
expressed by two very scholarly young students of English Literature!

I later spoke about Lawrence Durrell and the Alexandria Quartet to many of
my undergraduate friends in College, among whom were students of the English
Tripos. But I found no particular enthusiasm for his writing, and in the
general atmosphere of England and Cambridge in the late 1960s - so different
from what I had imagined! - I felt that the romanticism of Durrell at least,
was out of place.

So much for now!

Sumantra
Message: 4