[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 5, Issue 4

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Wed Aug 8 07:08:18 PDT 2007

On 8/8/2007 5:22 AM, Sumantra Nag wrote:
> I found the discussion on this issue fascinating, and have reproduced below,
> a few scattered lines from them for reference!
>
> 1. During the 1960s, the Alexandria Quartet and also the books of the Beat
> Generation created genuine interest among us - I mean students in Delhi
> University, and perhaps in St. Stephen's College in particular - when I was
> a student there. It was not so much a case of wanting to be seen reading
> these books. Some of my contemporaries were perhaps more influenced by the
> Beat writers than by Durrell. I believe Ginsberg visited Delhi then - it
> made no great furore but one person I knew, went and visited him at the
> Birla Mandir, a prominent Indian temple in Delhi with modest residential
> accommodation. I remember the  poem "Howl" as a memorable experience of Beat
> writing at that time.
This anecdote restores perspective for me, Sumantra, and I thank you.
My remarks about the falling off of reading in public spaces have their
special time and place.  I write from  the Southeastern United States in
2007, amazed at the lengths that undergrad students of all majors and
types will go to to avoid reading books which can be positively
recreational, in the fullest sense.  Dear.  I sound like Matt Arnold.

It is good to recall that reading Durrell's /Quartet /&c. will express
different interests and stand for different things in different places
and times.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University