[ilds] 1957 novels

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon Aug 6 14:18:28 PDT 2007

On 8/6/2007 4:09 PM, william godshalk wrote:

>         Among certain people, Ayn Rand was and is considered
>         inconsiderable (as Leslie Fiedler quipped). I know she's still
>         taught in certain high schools, but the students quickly
>         understand the foolishness of her "philosophy."

I would follow with a couple of points, both of which I think are
related to our concerns with the current estimations of Durrell's
/Justine/, 1957 - 2007.

First, Bill, you write about the "foolishness of Rand's philosophy."  I
think that you mean here her "Objectivism" and the ideologies that the
character John Galt comes to stand for.  But I would ask--/fabulously
significant aesthetic and political differences set to one side/--how is
this quite common and widespread critical dismissal of Rand's writing as
"foolish" so different from current dismissals of Durrell's ideas
("spirit of place," "investigations of modern love," &c) as foolish?

Of course, one easy answer might be that Durrell entertained ideas for
their shapes and sounds, letting them appear and then evanesce as his
attention turned elsewhere.  Ayn Rand was decidedly more adamant about
the importance of her ideas.  (Simple answer: one author understood
humor and irony, while the other avoided those at all costs.)

As we saw in the /American Scholar/ piece, and as I have encountered in
my own conversations, in their very different ways, /Atlas Shrugged/,
/On the Road/, and /Justine /are seen today as appealing to passing
phases, "youthful enthusiasms" (Trueheart's phrase:
http://www.theamericanscholar.org/su07/quartet-trueheart.html), whether
in varieties Romantic (Durrell or Kerouac) or varieties Fascist (Rand).
That is, I think a common and unexamined response to /Justine/--"/oh, I
remember that book from my youth; that all seems a very, very long time
ago now; fancy that I ever went in for that sort of silliness/"--is
different only in the specific terms of objection.

I will also offer that another late-1950s writer regularly paired with
Durrell (and Pasternak), Vladimir Nabokov, seems to have survived and
grown in critical estimation.

Strangely, I had a conversation with some other university teachers in
Ghent regarding the fading of Kerouac's audience.  Those three or four
UK teachers said that /On the Road/ seems another world (now long lost)
to their more conservative university students who live in today's world
of parenta/governmentall protection and travel as consumption.  I found
that to be true of students in Virginia, also, the exception being a
student who came to class already read in Hermann Hesse's /Siddhartha
/(1922; 1951) and Pirsig's /Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance/.
Small prize for guessing that the same exceptional student eagerly took
up Durrell's /Prospero's Cell/ also.

/Justine /also has some curious (but unclear) kinship with /Zhivago/, I
think.  Atmosphere and historical place so indelible as to become like a
film score of a certain time and place in life.  The very titles have
come associative, perfume-like.

***

Try this silliness for what diversion it is worth:

        *Literature-Map*
        http://www.literature-map.com/

        TYPE IN <Lawrence Durrell>

--