[ilds] 1957 novels

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon Aug 6 07:14:21 PDT 2007

> Another "1957 Book" gets its reconsideration here.
>
> The arc of commentary  about /On the Road/ (from remembered readings
> to present encounters) sounds remarkably like the /American Scholar/
> piece on /Justine/.

A select catalog of 1957 novels follows here.  How well do any of
/Justine/'s contemporaries hold up at 50?

        /Atlas Shrugged/
        /The Baron in the Trees/
        /Dandelion Wine/
        /Doctor Zhivago/
        /From Russia with Love/
        /The Guns of Navarone
        Justine
        //On the Road/
        /Pnin/
        /The Town/
        /Voss/

I will note that, in their /very /different ways, three of these
novels--/Justine/, /Atlas Shrugged/, and /On the Road/--achieved and
still perhaps hold an iconic status.  That is, it was as important to be
seen reading them as actually to have read them.  The very totems of
their time.

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu