[ilds] Durrell's copy of Ketschmer's -- clarification

James Gifford gifford at uvic.ca
Thu Aug 2 15:25:16 PDT 2007

Hey Bill,

I've seen a few dozen books with such annotations.  I'd be very
interested in hearing more.  What I've found so far is that Durrell's
underlinings and/or markings often note areas of interest
(surprise...) or areas that he had lifted for use in this plots, such
as Semira's nose.  He's fairly uniform in the style and structure of
his marginalia.

A collection of Durrell's markings could be very useful for a
classical source analysis, and you seem to have had a very clear sense
of the timeline on this book.  The fact that he saw Rank as well is
intriguing, though I believe Nin records having sent him a copy of
_Art & Artist_ as well.

Best,
James