[ilds] durrell's cicadas (redux)

Richard Pine richardpin at eircom.net
Mon Jul 30 11:43:01 PDT 2007

I'll be living for one week in September at the White House - the wonderful presentation by my colleagues and participants at the Durrell School when I stepped down as Academic Director - so maybe it will be the occasion  to do some 'travel writing' that I can present at the Travel Writing seminar my successor is organising for June 2008, with the partcipation of Jan Morris, her son Mark Morris, and Mark Ottaway. Who knows.
'Agni', mentioned in this article, is more complex than simply 'unspoilt' - it suggests modesty and chastity, innocence, whereas 'unspoilt' suggests a lurking danger? - Agni itself is in fact largely free from development, altho a Dutch developer offered me a choice of building sites nearby, at 750k and 1million, just for the land - and he's building over the path mentioned in the article. Oh well.
Does anyone know whether Bernard Stone is still in business? When I visited him at his bookshop way back in the 80s he dispensed vodka at 10.30 am and was nonchalantly taking a phone call from Christopher Logue, at that time still contributing scurrilous stuff to Private Eye.
RP