[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 4, Issue 33

Smithchamberlin at aol.com Smithchamberlin at aol.com
Sat Jul 28 12:19:17 PDT 2007

As Tom Lehrer once wrote and sang to a nifty tune relating to the  Vatican:
        Genuflect
        Genuflect
        Genuflect!
I guess ya gotta know the melody.
        Brewster

In a message dated 7/28/2007 3:00:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

Message:  9
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:48:33 +0100
From: "Richard Pine"  <richardpin at eircom.net>
Subject: Re: [ilds] John Gawsworth
To:  <ilds at lists.uvic.ca>

The article refers to an appeal for funds for  Gawsworth in 1970 - this may
well be true, but if so there was also an  earlier appeal, launched (I think)
by the Wilde scholar John Stokes who  was then at Reading Uni. My memory may
be faulty as to who wrote the  appeal, but there is no doubt whatsoever that
it was prior to 1970, and a  copy was sent to my father on account of his
having been helpful to  Gawsworth in the early part of WW2, for which G
appointed my father a Duke  of Redonda (this is hereditary, so this is where
you all genuflect). My  belief is that this earlier appeal was around 1965.
RP