[ilds] John Gawsworth

Richard Pine richardpin at eircom.net
Sat Jul 28 02:48:33 PDT 2007

The article refers to an appeal for funds for Gawsworth in 1970 - this may
well be true, but if so there was also an earlier appeal, launched (I think)
by the Wilde scholar John Stokes who was then at Reading Uni. My memory may
be faulty as to who wrote the appeal, but there is no doubt whatsoever that
it was prior to 1970, and a copy was sent to my father on account of his
having been helpful to Gawsworth in the early part of WW2, for which G
appointed my father a Duke of Redonda (this is hereditary, so this is where
you all genuflect). My belief is that this earlier appeal was around 1965.
RP