[ilds] King Leer

James Gifford gifford at uvic.ca
Fri Jul 27 16:39:44 PDT 2007

What about the other question -- why is Darley reading King Lear?
He's hardly an old King choosing among his daughters based on who
loves him the most, though he is torn between the poorly treated
Melissa who loves him and the manipulative Justine who does not.
Either way, I'd be about as likely to carry a copy of _King Lear_ to
the sands for a romantic interlude as I would _American Psycho_...

I wonder if Durrell had listed a different play in a previous draft.
In the Quartet he made numerous such last minute changes for a title
or between names such as Blake and Keats.

Best,
James