[ilds] Enigma Machine

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 22 13:49:05 PDT 2007

Du Maurier wrote Rebecca in Alexandria.  The Germans in the Western
Desert used Rebecca as their code book when communicating with their
spy in Cairo.  Their spy was an Alexandrian, half Egyptian, half
German, called John Eppler, and he operated a wireless on a houseboat
in the Nile.  He was assisted by an Egyptian officer called Anwar
Sadat.  Eppler was delivered to Cairo across the Western Desert by
Count Almasy, the English Patient.  One of the men who arrested Eppler
was John Cromer Braun, the man who interviewed Durrell as he stepped
off the boat in Alexandria in 1941.  Durrell and Eppler later met in
Paris and got on well.

It is not Rebecca that is Durrell's life story.  But the role played by
Rebecca in the war is the role played by Durrell's life story in
decoding his poems.

:Michael