[ilds] Enigma Machine

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 22 08:05:44 PDT 2007

Yes, absolutely, poetry is the poet's solution/resolution.

When I talk about screwy syntax and imagery, I have a mind the image of someone typing out a poem on someone else's lips.  Absurd and gruesome, should you want to look at "Worn typewriter keys" on "sleeping slips" too closely.  Do you think "typewriter keys" could refer to cipher keys, as the British embassy would have used for encryption of its diplomatic correspondence?  I.e., the British equivalent of the German "Enigma Machine?"  Again, my point -- Durrell's very weird language invites weird analysis.  I see Durrell, writer and poet, as one big Enigma Machine.

Bruce