[ilds] Tree of Idleness

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 21 15:12:52 PDT 2007

There are certainly poems of Durrell's where there must have been on
his part no expectation of decryption.  Mythologies is an example,
which I have partly decrypted in my book Alexandria: City of Memory,
but only because I had a few biographical keys.  These closed coded
poems are I suspect intensely personal and speak of wounds and hurt;
but Durrell speaks them only to himself, leaving the reader with
intriguing but indecipherable phrases.  The Tree of Idleness can, I
believe, be further illuminated by biographical knowledge.

:Michael