[ilds] One of us

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 20 07:13:35 PDT 2007

"A very small phrase" with very big implications.  "One of us" occurs, by the way, at the end of Conrad's 1917 preface to Lord Jim (1900) and throughout the novel, as when Marlow says about Tuan Jim, in what must be a very British accent, "He was of the right sort; he was one of us" (ch. seven).

Bruce