[ilds] F. R. Leavis

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 20 07:10:26 PDT 2007

I too have looked in Richard's Lawrence Durrell: The Mindscape and find
on page 28 Richard saying that Durrell 'not only escaped inclusion in
"the Great Tradition" but was even described by Leavis as "not one of
us"'.  This is footnoted (number 32), and one turns to page 36 to see
what Richard has to say: 'The remark about Durrell being "not one of
us" is attributed by R W Dasenbrock to Ray Morrison in "Centrifugality:
An Approach to Lawrence Durrell", in L W Markert and C Peirce (eds)
p210'.

Does that mean the remark originated with Leavis somewhere but was
repeated by Morrison who was repeated by Dasenbrock, or does it
originate with Ray Morrison?

:Michael