[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons --The Tree of Idleness -- bananas

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 20 06:52:59 PDT 2007

Yes.  Michael Haag once pointed out to me that in travel writing readers expect to hear "tall tales."  And I seem to recall, vaguely, that the medieval genre of this form started out being just that, fiction disguised as fact.  I will add, however, that I began reading Durrell's traveling writing expecting it to be fact.  Then I read Sicilian Carousel and realized the man was inventing everything except the landscape.

Bruce