[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 4, Issue 24

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 22:42:37 PDT 2007

From: Pamela Francis <albigensian at hotmail.com>
>>Sent: Jul 18, 2007 12:19 PM

"...So, when Leavis, Cambridge don, says Lawrence Durrell is "not one of
us," the negation of a major theme in Lord Jim, he's indirectly referring to
Durrell's values and sensibilities and saying, in effect, they are not ours.
And "ours" must refer to the mainstream moral and literary values that Dr.
Leavis took it upon himself to defend...."
---------------------------------------

May I refer to the "war" between the Sitwells and F.R Leavis - aestheticism
vs analysis?? That is an excessively simplistic description of the "war" I
know, but it might capture some of the issues involved. The travel writing
of Osbert Sitwell has qualities one might detect in Lawrence Durrell's
travel writing, and I am reminded particularly of a phrase "....they are
coming!...they are coming!..." Lawrence Durrell used it to describe the
excitement of young boys at the progress of a festival procession in the
Alexandria Quartet, and I found the same phrase in a travel essay by Osbert
Sitwell, where a similar excitement is expressed by children at the approach
of a procession.

The similarity may seem insignificant, particularly since it involves a very
small phrase, but parallels have been drawn between the writing of Lawrence
Durrell and the writing of the Sitwells - an Edwardian quality perhaps.

Sumantra