[ilds] Durrell on being categorised

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 19 13:27:47 PDT 2007

I have had a look at Charles' review of Herbrechter's book in Deus Loci
NS7 and I see he ends it with this quote from a 1968 NY Times interview
with Durrell: 'I'm terribly suspect.  You see, I've done these things
that read a bit like detective stories.  But of course they're more
than that, because I've built a whole system of question marks into
them.  This is what bothers the critics with their passion for
categorising.  They don't know what to call the books.'

:Michael