[ilds] The Tree of Idleness

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 19 12:18:49 PDT 2007

I do agree that 'I suppose', the way it hangs there at the end of that
line, has the effect of making one think about Durrell thinking of his
death, not just in that house, that village.  I wonder if the initial
statement, 'I shall die some day, I suppose', is not the voice of the
reluctant child, while 'in this old Turkish house I inhabit' is the
voice of acceptance.  In any case there certainly can be layered
readings, and the poem is better for that.

:Michael