[ilds] F. R. Leavis

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Thu Jul 19 12:11:15 PDT 2007

On 7/19/2007 2:25 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
> "Not one of us" and "Miller, Durrell, and Nin do dirt on life."  What are the sources of these Leavite quotations, which I may have quoted inaccurately?

Here you are, Bruce:/

/

        /The Great Tradition: George Eliot, Henry James, Joseph Conrad/
        (London: Chatto & Windus, 1948) 26.

Out of conscientiousness, I will say that Stefan Herbrechter goes over
this ground about Durrell and the canon in some detail in his book
/Lawrence Durrell, Postmodernism and the Ethics of Alterity/ (1999).   I
disagreed with Herbrechter's main direction of method and argument in
/Deus Loci/ (NS 7).

Charles

--
Wake Forest University