[ilds] The Tree of Idleness

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 09:46:52 PDT 2007

What a lovely reading!

I must admit that my love of poetry dwells on its ability to mean more
than one thing, and that's how I read the "suppose" of that first line.
Its grammatical function in the sentence is clear, but why give the
delay of the line break (for the eye if not the ear, I suppose),
allowing the reader to have something more from one reading.  This is a
trick Durrell employs repeatedly in his poetry.  The "I suppose" seems
to float there as some kind of phrase in apposition, allowing itself by
the absence of commas to be tied to three potential structures with a
comma preceding it, proceeding it, or surrounding it.  I want all three
to coexist, but I suppose we've already established that I always want
the incommensurable...  In fact, the unexpected caesuras in the poem
strike me as a pressing trait, perhaps reflecting the incompleteness of
the missing person whose absence bruises and stains the surrounding
landscape.

As for the bananas, I see it as akin to the Corfiot kumquats (or olives
for that matter).  How long Durrell could have remained unaware that the
widely spread species was non-indigenous I do not know, but with
Theodore Stephanides (a chunk of his correspondence is at Nanterre) as a
friend, I suspect he would have figured it out eventually.  It's a wider
debate, and one probably not important to our discussion here, but even
if Durrell didn't know about the transplanted banana, isn't it an
all-the-more perfect image?  Chalk it up to a Freudian parapraxis or
blind luck, but I'm glad it's there.

Also, now that we have a better sense of the likely time frame, I should
point out something for the printing.  In the _Collected Poems_, Jay
Brigham talked Durrell into retaining the dedications for his poems,
though they eventually went missing through reprints of the book, as did
the columnar notes for "Cities, Plains, People."  This was a very rich
period for Durrell's poetry, which I think generally declined by the
70s.  We've not had enough biographical context for the poems, and I
would like to see more (hint...), but I also think a part of Durrell's
poetic craft rested on his ability to take the intensely personal and
recast it in a manner of broader sensibilities, experience, and style.
I like to compare Durrell to Keats, and like Keats, that biographical
timeline is crucial, but the poems are crafted to work independently of
it as well.

And last but not least: "No."  I like this approach Michael offers
through memory's springs.  It makes me think of the fine contrast
between the urban and rural in _Justine_ or the role of memory and time
in _Prospero's Cell_.  Yet, like the rest of the poem, that strong break
and pause in the reading makes me pause as well.  This is the turning
point in the poem, rest on that "No."  All the conjecture is rejected,
and the most recent conjecture is his resting point between two lives
tied to a woman's wanting and being haunted by that bruising stain when
he is reborn into a new life.  He cannot escape the memory of what has
passed nor can that memory live on endless: he must recall his pains and
still die.

Although, the village does not remember.  It simply continues to be.

I don't think I can add anything to the collection of objects, which
Michael points out.  I wonder how often this happens in Durrell's
works?  I know it's still there right through the _Avignon Quintet_, but
I never thought to make notes on it before now.  A very rich poem indeed
-- I'm beginning to wish I could teach the poems next year, but unless
we can make him Irish, there isn't a course I can tuck him into...

Best,
James