[ilds] Durrell's magnetic island of bitter lemons

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:41:45 PDT 2007

I am attaching a copy of Durrell's article on Cyrpus after the Turkish
invasion.  His opinions are caught up in the specifics of the situation.

Durrell, Lawrence. "This magnetic, bedevilled island that tugs at my
heart." _Daily Mail_ 22 August (1974): 6.

I must admit, however, that I do not think he falls into any easy
political groups here.  It would be easy to take what he says and read
it according to our own needs and desires, but I don't think that would
be accurate.

For instance, Durrell is sympathetic to the "Moslems" and the Russian
solution, which would run contrary to his alleged loyalties to British
Imperialism and Greek nationalism and culture.  Personally, I don't
think terms such as "left" or "right" have much meaning at all beyond
stereotypes or charicatures --  my own beliefs aside, Durrell's
political loyalties have always struck me as expediencies rather than
ideological beliefs.  He wanted to remain on Cyprus and he saw a
political path that might make that possible.  The only political value
he seems to invoke here in a positive sense is liberalism...

At any rate, his voting record is a matter of biographical interest, so
I'll refrain from much further comment.  Suffice to say, the range of
thought behind this brief article suggests that Durrell continued to
give more than casual interest to Cyprus and retained his political
acumen even after leaving public service.

Enjoy!

Best,