[ilds] Durrell and the Academy

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 14:54:28 PDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Charles Sligh writes,

>Despite this small, valiant effort, we still find--at least I see that
>we do--a continued neglect of Durrell in the Academy.  I have already
>rehearsed the conversations that I have overheard and the advisement
>that I have received over the years indicating a concerned suspicion
>about Durrell as a topic of serious study.  Although I do not think that
>we have precisely defined its origins, its causes, and its strongholds
>(major research institutions? top-tier academic journals and
>publishers?), I hope that this too-easy and unexamined hostility may be
>changing.  I think that I see the beginnings of this change.  We have at
>least three younger scholars working with wholehearted and sharp-minded
>dedication to that project.  As a Victorianist connected to several
>important institutions and resources, I am dedicated to supporting the
>work of these younger Durrellian scholars and the others who will, I
>hope, follow their lead in future days.  Yet I do not pretend that the
>sponsorship and fostering of Durrell studies will be easy.  It will take
>much constancy, effort, and dedication.

To the list of those doing important scholarship on LD, I add Michael Haag's name, whose book on Alexandria and the upcoming biography of LD, should open the eyes of many in Academia.  His books are being published by Yale, and I expect they have and will have a profound and decisive impact on Durrellian studies and how Durrell is perceived in the Academy.  I think the term sea change is appropriate here.