[ilds] MLA bibliography

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Wed Jul 18 13:28:35 PDT 2007

On 7/18/2007 3:51 PM, James Gifford wrote:

>         the size of a body of work has
>         little to do with the frequency with which it will be included in
>         syllabuses and so forth.

An interesting disconnect to note, Jamie.  All in all, I think that
course syllabi powerfully shape the larger conversations in the
academy.  The books chosen for a course show what teacher-scholars are
interested in and passionate about.

Here is a question--really an invitation for anecdotes.  Have any
subscribers to the list found non-ILDS university faculty teaching
Durrell in the college classroom?   I can say that this has happened at
least once after I have introduced (converted? corrupted?) a fellow
faculty to the wonders of /Justine/.   But just that once have I heard
about Durrell being taught by someone working away from contact with the
ILDS.

Two years ago, one of the editors of the new /Broadview Anthology of
British Literature /approached me about making a selection of Durrell's
writings for potential inclusion.  I set to work, fired by the
enthusiasm of this editor, but sad to say Durrell did not make it past
the long list of candidates for inclusion.   Here is the
twentieth-century, /sans /Durrell, as imagined by the Broadview editors.

        http://www.broadviewpress.com/babl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=37

Also, I am surprised that no one alluded to Penguin's Reading Guide to
/Justine/:

        http://us.penguingroup.com/static/rguides/us/justine.html

Perhaps Oprah will take Durrell under her wing.  Faulkner enjoyed a most
strange aftergrowth when she took up three of his novels as a summer
read for her Book Club.

        *Oprah's Book Club: A Summer of Faulkner*
        This summer, Oprah's Book Club is reading three books by William
        Faulkner: 'As I Lay Dying', 'The Sound and the Fury' and 'Light
        in August.'
        http://www2.oprah.com/obc_classic/featbook/asof/obc_featbook_asof_main.jhtml

>         Heck, I've still never seen Charles Dickens
>         on a syllabus, though I know he's written about and read (and is a
>         favourite of mine).

Here are my offerings for you, Jamie.   I teach /Bleak House/ in an
upper level Victorian Novels course; /Great Expectations/ in my
first-year seminar; and for Spring 2008 I will be teaching an
upper-level grad/undergrad seminar on /Charles Dickens/ in his full.
inimitable grandeur.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University