[ilds] MLA bibliography

James Gifford gifford at uvic.ca
Wed Jul 18 12:51:08 PDT 2007

There are approaching 2000 works on Durrell in English -- the MLA,
being a passive bibliography, is not a terribly reliable bibliography.
 That said, there is an extensive body of work on Durrell (my paper
collection of articles runs somewhere in the 2500+ range) and far more
than there is on other authors who are very well-established in the
curriculum in the academy.

I'll comment more once I'm home, but the size of a body of work has
little to do with the frequency with which it will be included in
syllabuses and so forth.  Heck, I've still never seen Charles Dickens
on a syllabus, though I know he's written about and read (and is a
favourite of mine).  Likewise, Thomas King appears in hundreds of
Canadian syllabuses but has hardly any critical works in print.

Cheers,
James