[ilds] Durrell and the Academy

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 11:46:36 PDT 2007

Good example.  F. R. Leavis taught at Cambridge and wrote The Great Tradition.  And Leavis's assessment has been picked up, updated, and translated into the critical opinions of Said and Eagleton.  I don't think the Academy ever liked Durrell.  "Not one of us" just about sums it up, perfectly.  Strange how Leavis would throw the motto of Lord Jim ("He was 'one of us'"), Conrad's great novel, at Durrell.  That shows you how far outside the pale he was considered by the Academic establishment.  It threw and throws "dirt" on him.

Bruce