[ilds] Durrell and the Academy

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:28:34 PDT 2007

On 7/18/2007 1:55 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
> Neither.  I'm trying to identify the source of academic hostility towards Lawrence Durrell.  That hostility, in my view, has a lot of contempt, which I associate with literary snobbishness.

So let's push the discussion into more specificity.  This means getting
beyond relying solely upon my testimony as an academic--an academic,
mind you, who has been unswerving in my advocacy of reading Durrell in
the libraries, on the streets, and in the classrooms.  What are the
facts?  Other witnesses should speak now.

I have tried to speak to these concerns about the place of Durrell in
the University with moderation and with frankness.  My view is that a
number of good teachers and scholars working within the academy have
dedicated themselves to opposing the neglect of Durrell.  Many of those
people are my close friends.  I met almost all of them through the ILDS,
and I would not be writing this note today if it had not been for their
labors and their kindnesses.  They are beacons set out in a chain
against a more general darkening.  This ILDS listserv, of course, is
sponsored and facilitated by the academics who participate in the ILDS.
Let it bring more light.

Despite this small, valiant effort, we still find--at least I see that
we do--a continued neglect of Durrell in the Academy.  I have already
rehearsed the conversations that I have overheard and the advisement
that I have received over the years indicating a concerned suspicion
about Durrell as a topic of serious study.  Although I do not think that
we have precisely defined its origins, its causes, and its strongholds
(major research institutions? top-tier academic journals and
publishers?), I hope that this too-easy and unexamined hostility may be
changing.  I think that I see the beginnings of this change.  We have at
least three younger scholars working with wholehearted and sharp-minded
dedication to that project.  As a Victorianist connected to several
important institutions and resources, I am dedicated to supporting the
work of these younger Durrellian scholars and the others who will, I
hope, follow their lead in future days.  Yet I do not pretend that the
sponsorship and fostering of Durrell studies will be easy.  It will take
much constancy, effort, and dedication.

What are the facts?  What other reports might we hear from those working
in the field?

Feeling "kindly unto all the earth."

Charles

--