[ilds] Tesserae

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 16 16:54:51 PDT 2007

Yes, I think you're right.  The image certainly does justice to his dazzling style, whose pieces make a distinctive whole.  And the thing about Hellenistic and Roman mosaics, as they're dug up and restored -- well, almost always many pieces are missing, whole parts of the original, in fact.  So you end up with large gaps, only an outline or faint suggestion, where you, the viewer, have to imagined the whole.  And the fragments seem more beautiful than the original.  Pound knew this and make it a tenet of Modernism.

Bruce