[ilds] Brett Whiteley, Justine

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon Jul 16 11:43:00 PDT 2007

> On 7/16/2007 9:33 AM, Richard Pine wrote:
>> It could be Sade, altho S's Justine was a thicker book, than D's
Dear Richard:

I believe that you may have missed my earlier postings on Whiteley's
/Justine/.  As the Bonham's catalog makes clear, "The Whiteley oil
titled /Justine /depicts the artist's wife, Wendy, sun-baking on
Sydney's Bondi Beach reading the novel, /Justine /by the modernist
writer Lawrence Durrell" <http://www.bonhamsandgoodman.com.au/>.

That said, any work taking on the title /Justine /in allusion to
Lawrence Durrell opens itself to a lineage running back to Sade and his
/Justine/.

Best!

CLS

--