[ilds] Bitter Lemons as a novel

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 15 17:42:28 PDT 2007

Charles, thank you for that.  So it comes down to a lack of utility and
a lack of seriousness of purpose.  More that, perhaps, than even his
announced conservatism?  Or women as inflatable, foreigners as monkeys?
  It is interesting if that is so.  Durrell's sense of revolt, if it is
noticed at all, is not expressed in the right terms, and his ultimate
crime is seen as self-indulgence.

:Michael