[ilds] Bitter Lemons as a novel

Richard Pine richardpin at eircom.net
Sun Jul 15 01:56:17 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Redwine" <bredwine1968 at earthlink.net>
To: "Haag" <michaelhaag at btinternet.com>; "Durrell list" <ilds at lists.uvic.ca>
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:32 AM
Subject: Re: [ilds] Bitter Lemons as a novel

I didnt say (or didnt mean to say) that we each live in our own imaginative
universe, but now that Bruce has raised that, well, we'd better remind
ourselves of what LD meant by his 'Heraldic Universe' and what can be
accomplished /can be expected by and of its sole inhabitant.

It's also worth while pointing out that BL won the Duff Cooper Memorial
Prize, presented to him by the (then) Queen Mother. Irony or what?. How was
BL (and of course LD) perceived by the establishmnet in order for his book
to be eligible, and a winner?!

And as for potboilers, the one 'travel' book that he described as such (a
letter to me) was 'Sicilian Carousel', but we've been over that ground
before
RP