[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- How to Buy a House

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri Jul 13 21:16:49 PDT 2007

In the conversation entitled "Looking for that Sacred Wiggle," John
Hawkes offers Durrell a reading that might follow up on Pamela & co.:

>         I think your first book that is extraordinary is /Bitter
>         Lemons/, which I consider a fiction. Lots of people would take
>         it as a personal account---I think it's fiction.  I think
>         everything you've written is fiction and non-fiction.  I think
>         they're the same, and /Bitter Lemons/ is truly a great book
>         (Ingersoll 237)

I will leave everyone to read Durrell's response to Hawkes in their own
time.  Durrell is in his grand interview mode, and seems to connect
/Bitter Lemons/ to the /Quartet /and relativity, the notion of the
observer changing the outcome of the experiment, &c.  Cyprus would thus
be the experiment.

Could someone please take us in for a closer look at a passages or some
sentences that demonstrate the points of about genre you have found?
What are some of the particular, notable generic markers, say, in "How
to Buy a House"?  Thanks!

I will confess it:  I have a kind of fetish for the specific words on
the page.  Example: "A machine for making cement blocks performed its
slow but punctual evacuations, accompanied by a seductive crunch."  That
is terrific.  Precisely drawn and funny.  I really, really like it when
people pick up their books, point, and read.  I am a bit myopic, I
suppose.  And evidence is always a good idea whenever we start making
big claims.  We should discriminate in the most concrete terms possible,
as Pater said in his "Preface."  I am wary of abstraction.  Like
Nabokov, I am at my happiest when the collector's pin cinches the prize
to the mounting board.

We might start getting specific with the title of this chapter--"How to
Buy a House"--the phrasing of which parodies the "How To" language of
the guide book. Cf. these blurbs for specific examples:

>             *How to Buy a House*
>             * *http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-House
>             Many people dream of home ownership but it mandates
>             *homework*, *legwork *and considerable *effort *on your
>             part to ensure that the process goes as smoothly as
>             possible. *Here's how to make your dream become a reality.*
>             * *
>             *Home Buying for Dummies (Paperback) *
>             http://www.amazon.com/Home-Buying-Dummies-Eric-Tyson/dp/1568843852
>             If you've always dreamed of owning your own home, here's a
>             book that tells you how to make your dream come true --
>             without getting a bum deal (and *maybe saving a penny or
>             two along the way*).

These "How to" guides become a deal funnier if we read the blurbs while
visualizing Sabri and Durrell sitting across from the woman while she
croons over the house-key.  "How to Buy a House": A parody with paradox,
of course.  No one should try to duplicate the negotiations of Sabri as
they work with their own estate agent.  Everyone might learn a thing or
two about human nature and humane manners from this chapter.

I think that I can understand the gist of your references to Byron and
Waugh, Pamela.  I have also read /Oxiana /and /Labels/, as well as Paul
Fussell's /Abroad/, a handy little book which I am guessing stands in
some way behind your point.  (That 1980 book is perhaps inescapable.)

            *Abroad: British Literary Traveling Between the Wars*
            http://books.google.com/books?id=u2UCjopN--oC&pg=PA251&lpg=PA251&dq=fussell+abroad&source=web&ots=AMtYyZcZDQ&sig=GnpEcM17OTVSoPFe4DSRgSP01Kc#PPP10,M1

Fussell makes a case something like yours about the admixture of genres
and uses those books by Byron and Waugh to make his case.   I would cite
Chatwin's /The Songlines/ and Thompson's /Fear and Loathing/ /in Las
Vegas/ as more extreme examples of travel writers using what Fussell
calls "literary contrivances."

Now let's bring new light to /Bitter Lemons/.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu