[ilds] Bitter Lemons as a novel

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 20:21:49 PDT 2007

I think this is where biography and 'theory' comfortably meet in a
productive way.  I'm admittedly not comfortable calling _Bitter Lemons_
non-fiction, though the fashionable label "creative non-fiction" might
suit it better.  I can have a reasonable expectation that the recently
released Ronald Reagan diaries will be genuine non-fiction, while a
novelist & poet's travel memoirs (admittedly stocked with "characters")
obviously don't have quite the same series of expectations.  How we sort
out those differences isn't something I claim to know in detail, but I
would suggest our discussion of the topic (apart from specific
instances) would qualify as a theory...

Michael is quite right (and I suspect he's suggesting something a little
broader) when he notes that the main players are oddly absent for a
non-fiction narrative.  Those omissions are as much a 'fictionalization'
of the materials as factual changes would be.  After all, without Claude
or Eve, Durrell's time on Cyprus becomes something quite different from
the biographical 'truth.'

Yet, my thoughts have been wandering for a while around a question posed
by a short while ago by Charles.  This has since been elaborated by
others: how do we read _Justine_ beside _Bitter Lemons_?  We've already
had some good suggestions for the richness in such a reading, for which
Michael has led the charge.  I think this is a rich vein to strike.
Also, Durrell acknowledges _BL_ as part of an island trilogy, so to
speak, and this description encourages the reader to pursue other
comparisons.

Similarly, since Michael first pointed out that _Justine_ was written
without an intention of a full Quartet, I've been pondering how I would
have read it in that first year, fifty years ago.  Durrell openly poses
_BL_ in relation to _Reflections_ and _Prospero's Cell_, though we as
readers see an advantage in placing it in conjunction with _Justine_.
That's our move as readers, and I think it's a good one.

How, then, do we read _Justine_ as a stand alone novel appearing
concomitantly with _Bitter Lemons_, but as overt fiction?  Personally, I
think we read it beside _The Black Book_, and that has been troubling me
ever since Michael's talk last summer.  We have a pretentious narrator
on a Greek island enjoying the landscape recalling an urban environment
of his past, which is surrounded by sexual innuendo and a host of
sexually peculiar characters, all the while with that narrator reading
the textual evidence left behind by those characters of the abandoned
city (diaries and letters).

I know this strays from _Bitter Lemons_, but it has been nagging at me.
  If we're going to look at _BL_ as tied to the travel books, which I
think is just as viable as tying it to _Justine_, then what do we do
with _Justine_ in that anna mirabilis of 1957, before _Balthazar_?  I
suggest we pretend to be readers who have some rare copies of those
earlier books sitting on our bookshelves.  If my collection only ran to
1957, I think the comparison between the various volumes would leap out
readily enough...

To what degree do we see Durrell repeating and improving on the pattern
he established in _The Black Book_?  Does _Bitter Lemons_ do a similar
'thickening' of the text in comparison to _Prospero's Cell_, as Clifford
Geertz might phrase it?  If that's the case, what does it mean for
_Bitter Lemons_ if we read it as a development out of the same spirit of
inquiry that drove Durrell's search for the spirit of place on Corfu and
Rhodes?

Best,
James