[ilds] Bitter Lemons as a novel

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 13 11:36:59 PDT 2007

The first edition of Bitter Lemons has photographs of Grivas, Field
Marshal Sir John Harding, the Hodja, Clito, Frangos, Andreas
Thalassinos, Andreas Menas, Kollis, Sabri Tahir, the Muktar, Loizus and
Lalou.  But there is no photograph of Marie, who was Marie
Millington-Drake; she was real.  Nor of the person under observation,
nor the daughter, nor of Durrell's mother, but they were real too, as
were various others.  Then there are the people who were real and who
were there but are not mentioned, the most glaring example being
Claude, without whom ...

:Michael