[ilds] The Market Place of Ideas

durrell at telstra.com durrell at telstra.com
Fri Jul 13 05:48:27 PDT 2007

Bruce Redwine wrote:
> I don't do scholarship, once but no more.  I read books.  I respond to what I read and respond to what others say about those same materials.  I react to ideas and agree or disagree when appropriate.  I recall this being the method that I was taught in graduate school.  When challenged or ridiculed, I also respond to the attack.  That's known as defending your position, which I can do myself and don't need to go through others.  Didn't someone recently say we were in a "market place of ideas," or something to that effect?  The agora or forum is not a garden party.  Lots of haggling goes on in those places, lots of give and take.  The Socratic dialogue is not a matter of simply saying, "Oh yes, Socrates."  Ad hominem?  Show me.  My remarks are directed at ideas, which are associated with people.  If I misrepresent someone's ideas, well, let that person correct me.  My ideas have been snickered or laughed at.  So what?  Give and take.  Maybe I need to sharpen my focus, express!
>   something more clearly, but I don't need to keep quiet for fear of offending someone's sensibilities.  I think some people are too easily offended.
>
> Bruce

Well said Bruce!!!.... and surely this notion that people are too easily
offended these days will be resonant in the minds of most
Durrellians..... If  LD could  return  from the  grave  he  would
certainly  evict  a number  of  the ILDS contributors  immediately based
on their frank banality..... with perhaps many more being culled in a
slow painful fashion as suited to their level of  plastic conformity...

I am shaping the final touches to my travel plans for 2weeks in Europe
and there may be an opportunity to organise a vegan feast   for a small
number of ILDS members in London on the weekend of the 20th July.....all
washed down with plenty of AUSTRALIAN wine.....Michael Haag is on the
list....what about we save a place on the table for you Bruce?.....best DrD