[ilds] madness on Cyprus

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 13 06:48:38 PDT 2007

David's observations about what is happening in Bitter Lemons are
interesting and useful.  He has reminded us of Bruce's earlier comments
that Durrell's emphasis on drinking is significant and points to things
hinted at but not said.  There is the underlying story of this book,
the one Durrell keeps telling us, but only in very incomplete snatches.
  It begins with the unidentified person under observation in the
hospital at Trieste.  It ends with the daughter who has gone away.
There is a sense of meditation on things falling apart.  'It is as if
the whole city had crashed about my ears' -- for at this time he is
also writing Justine.

But Durrell is also participating in the world of events.  In
particular there is David's remark that unlike Corfu and Rhodes, in
Cyprus Durrell is in the driving seat.  He bears some responsibility
for what is going on.  And he is telling us about the nature of the
problems, the possible solutions, and what is like to have some sense
of humane standards and to bear responsibility for them.  Durrell calls
for the reforms that David has outlined.  He chastises the British for
not having implemented them in time.  But he also points up the
failures of the Greek mind ('Who could discern in the thought-processes
of a modern Greek the exercise of a logic which was Socratic?  They
thought like Persian women.' p228), he condemns terrorism and murder,
and he defends the British response: '"If you kill you must die", I
said' (p248).

Richard has told us to look at Rodney Beaton's biography of Seferis in
which we find the Greek poet and diplomat calling his old friend
Durrell a 'gauleiter'.  Seferis made this remark long before any open
violence on the island and any tough response, instead immediately
after Durrell took up the information post with the Cyprus government.
So the the man who became Greek nobel laureate says Durrell is a Nazi,
and as Beaton goes on to say it soon became commonplace in Athens for
the British on Cyprus to be compared with the Nazi occupation of Greece
during the war, which was a horrific occupation involving murder,
terror and starvation on a massive scale.

Bitter Lemons is not Durrell's apologia for his time on Cyprus.
Instead it gives an account of madness on every level.  There is
nothing puny or defensive about this book from which Durrell emerges as
an exceptionally generous and humane figure.

:Michael