[ilds] Po-co/poco

Ilyas Khan ilyas.khan at crosby.com
Wed Jul 11 13:55:08 PDT 2007

The two places, in my experience, where the conflicting, but valid, views of
British colonial power and the colonised comes forcefully to mind and is
expressed in ways that affect our daily lives, are Palestine/Israel and
Kashmir. Its well nigh impossible to imagine how anyone who lives in these
countries could not be affected in their views, and how, in turn, their
literature, could not be affected.

Michael, what you say is laughable, and the way that you express that
opinion, has reversed, in one fell swoop, the seriousness with which
(despite your ill concealed lack of courtesy in addressing any issues that
might disagree with your opinon) I had come to try and appreciate your
views. Cypriots, Greek or Turkish, are not arguing about the relevance of
British rule to British interests (which is a given), but about the impact
upon their own interests and lives.

Bruce - thanks for the reminder about literary criticism and history
requiring different approaches. Criticism of historical novels is a
particularly dangerous minefield. Is it better to be a historian or a
literary critic to review these works ?