[ilds] Po-co/poco

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 11 13:40:47 PDT 2007

Writing history is not writing literary criticism.  The former assumes an attempt at objectivity.  The force of po-co and feminist criticism comes from the pain or ire of the aggrieved parties.  They have "standing," as one says in court when making a complaint.  Being a woman you have that standing when arguing as a feminist critic.  When you put on your po-co hat, however, things change.  You can certainly try to put yourself in the shoes of those oppressed by imperialism, but I would view your arguments suspiciously.  And I would think the "oppressed" might have an even more critical view.

Bruce