[ilds] Po-co/poco

Pamela Francis albigensian at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 13:04:25 PDT 2007

>From Bill:
>Well, maybe the answer is that we are all of us imperialists and/or
>colonialists. Some would like to distinguish between imperialism and
>colonialism -- the Philippines for example which the US held as an
>imperial power, but which it did not colonize to a great extent. Perhaps
>there is no "post" about it. Imperialism and colonialism don't
>disappear. They just reappear in new forms, new "manifest
>destines," and new or old places.

Both Bill and Richard point out something I've tried to--that "colonialism"
is not what we're really after, but "imperialism"-- a good portion of the
history of Imperiums (Imperia?) never involved colonization (France and
Britain in Egypt, for example).  I really prefer to call my field Empire
Studies, but just like my move to rename travel/diaspora/migration studies
Discourses of Movement, no one is buying it.