[ilds] Po-co/poco

Pamela Francis albigensian at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:55:52 PDT 2007

Actually, many, even most of the po-co/poco critics are from formerly
colonized regions: Gayatri Spivak, Homi Bhabha, Said (may he rest in peace),
Paul Gilroy, Arjun Appadurai, Benita Parry, Chinua Achebe (who is a critic
as well as novelist), Apollo Amoko, Gauri Viswanathan, Ania Loomba, Betty
Joseph, the Australians, on and on.  However, I don't feel that you have to
be a post-colonial subject to be able to analyze situations, any more than
you have to be Turkish to write a history of the Ottoman Empire (Lord
Kinross) or be in a war to write about the pros, cons, hows and whys of it.
You do not have to be an Other to write about Others (and if you think the
hyphen is a problem, discuss the capitalization of the O with
psychologists...).  If this is the case, white girls like me wouldn't get to
say anything about anything, whereas I think I'm fairly capable in my chosen
academic fields.  I could, of course, make the case that as a Southerner,
I've been colonized by those nasty carpet baggers from Yankeeland.  But it's
not all about me, but the issue or field that I am investigating at the
time.  And there are many feminist men, some who are even brave enough to
pick up the pen (or get out the keyboard) and write about it (John
Stoltenberg and Michael Messner are two). To say only Greeks can write
anything significant about Greece would put this list serve in a heck of a
situation.  In fact, I think we might all be able to say at some point that
distance from an issue can make for more careful analysis.  I will certainly
trust an analysis of Vietnam from someone who has taken the time to study
all the issues, etc., more than from someone who claims authority just from
having been through it.  And I said I wasn't going to say anything else
about this...