[ilds] hyphens and posts...

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 11 07:26:54 PDT 2007

An important theme of Bitter Lemons is imperialism and Britain's
imperial relationship with Cyprus.  Imperialism, whether practised by
the British, the Ottomans, the Romans, the French, the Arabs, the
Americans, etc, is more than an economic matter, and Durrell does not
deal with the economics of the subject.  Imperialism is also a matter
of inclusion, and this is the importance it has for Durrell.  He makes
that plain throughout Bitter Lemons, with his epigraphs for example,
and the episode at the end when he empties his daughter's basket of its
collection of found objects which amount to a catalogue of empires.
Cyprus has always been part of one empire or another, and Durrell's
argument is that the Cypriots have done far better by the British than
by anyone else, but that they have not been included enough -- not
given first-rate educational opportunities, for example.  The effect of
better educational opportunities would have been to increase the sense
of inclusion.  Durrell regrets that the Greek Cypriots do not see
things this way.

Durrell does concede that the British could have done more and earlier
to recognise the Greek nature of Cyprus, but he also warns of the
dangers of nationalism, which is exclusive.  Historically the Greeks
and Turks have been able to live together only under an imperial
system.  Just as the Greeks of Asia Minor could not survive within a
post-Ottoman nationalist Turkey, hence Smyrna, etc, so the Turks of
Cyprus would not be able to survive comfortably within a Greek
nation-state.  That is what Durrell warned, and that is what turned out
to be the case.  In this sense Durrell laments the passing of empire,
and he makes that entirely clear throughout the book.

For that matter in Oil for the Saint (the article Durrell wrote for
Holiday magazine, reprinted in Spirit of Place) Durrell is not being
ironic about the layers of foreign influence in Corfu, far less is he
being critical of imperialism; instead he celebrates the Venetian,
French and British presences and goes on to say that 'all these motifs
blend perfectly and become in some subtle fashion neither Venetian,
British, French nor even Greek.  They become Corfiote.'  Nor it would
it make any sense for Durrell to criticise the French or British as
imperialists opposed to Greek interests; for Greeks the power than
endangered their identity were the Ottomans, while the French and
British saved them from that danger.  The Venetians are another matter
for what they did in 1204, though later the Venetians too fought
against the Ottoman enemy and can in some way be seen as preservers of
Greece.  The very fact that the modern Greek renaissance, political,
cultural, etc, began in Corfu is precisely because of the Italian,
French and British influence there.  In Oil for the Saint Durrell
mentions a woman called Kerkira; the name of course is Greek for Corfu;
she is married to Athenaios, the owner of the White House at Kalami to
which Durrell is making a return, a pilgrimage bearing oil from
Provence to the local saint.  One can find symbolism in this if one
likes, claiming that Durrell is returning to the heart of Greekness, or
the heart of Corfiotness, pushing aside all those Venetian, French and
British influences.  But this is contradicted by Durrell himself who
sees the essence of Corfiotness as this mixture, this inclusion, this
layering of empires.  Nor did Durrell make up the name Kerkira for this
woman in order to make a pointed point.  Instead Athenaios' second wife
really was called Kerkira.  There is no symbolism about it.

:Michael