[ilds] hyphens and posts...

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 10 17:43:13 PDT 2007

I am a detective.  I ask questions.  I collect information.  I read
books and I scour archives.  I find that what I learn in books and
archives is all the better illuminated for the shoe leather I have
expended on incredibly pragmatic and concrete things.  I visit places,
speak to people, I form views on the basis of the material I collect.
Often the material overturns what I had expected, overturns some
previous point of view.  If I found something like postcolonial theory
or some other theory or ism remotely helpful to my endeavours I would
use it.  In fact I find it gets in the way of learning and doing.
Quite honestly in all the years that I have looked through publications
like Deus Loci I have found almost nothing in it that is worthwhile.
It is mostly hot air.  What I like is when someone who was there can
remember such and such; that really does have value.  The rest is a
waste of time.

:Michael