[ilds] Varient texts

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 16:02:06 PDT 2007

I'd agree with that, Bill.  I still disagree with Michael about
editions, but I don't think that merits further exploration at this point.

Kundera, for what it's worth, not only revises his books obsessively
(compulsively), but he insists that each new version that corrects the
problems he or others find is now the official text, with all others no
longer being authentic -- he's the author, he owns the book, and he'll
take it back to rewrite it any time he likes.  If you bought the fake
copy, it sucks to be you.  As he put it lately, the archive (the proof
he's done this thing) is "the dream of equality in a vast collective
grave."  A colleague posted it on his office door but hadn't realized
I'd already seen the previous edition of that statement in the library
-- I smiled inwardly at that moment...

Considering Kundera's firm stance on revisionist history, totalitarian
governments, and attempts to deny genocides, I've increasingly found his
revisionist textual practices very disturbing, since he should know
precisely what he's doing.

I think the French editions are now the formally acknowledged editions
of his works, but that may change in time.

But, I've just proved him wrong.  I took *my* copy of _Ignorance_ off
the shelf, changed the first sentence, and dare him to try to take it
back.  The book's mine now...

Best,
James